Being inspired by others using Instax Wide film in 4x5 cameras on the Worldwide Instax Shooters Facebook page, I thought I would try using Instax Wide film in my 4x5 Lensless 50mm Pinhole Camera. I found a quick little video on YouTube showing how to notch 4x5 sized acetate to hold the Instax Wide film inside a 4x5 film holder. I used black plastic folders cut down to size for mine. After exposing the film, it is reloaded into an empty instax wide cartridge inside a changing bag and placed in my Lomo'Instant Wide camera, also in the changing bag - then ejected and developed, covering the lens while doing so.
I took a few initial shots on our back porch on a sunny evening where the exposure was less than a second and I was able to produce a couple of well-exposed shots. The composition wasn't that great on those so I've been trying to improve my exposures while also working on better compositions.
Shooting inside where the exposure times are much longer meant that I needed to try to find a good guide on reciprocity failure for Instax Film. The closest thing that I could find was a formula for doubling the exposure five times and this seemed to work for me better than previous experimental times.
Now that there is the new Instax Wide Monochrome film, I want to try pinhole photography with this method. I've already experimented with the Instax Mini Monochrome using my Diana F+ with instant back set on the pinhole setting, and those photos came out pretty nice.
Shooting with Instax Wide Film in this manner has made me think more about my Polaroid 110A Instax Wide conversion. I'm now thinking it would be better to put a 4x5 back on the Polaroid 110A whic would enable me to shoot both Instax Wide loaded into 4x5 film holders and also traditional 4x5 film. There is a seller on Ebay producing 3D printed 4x5 camera backs for DIY camera projects. This would be much easier for me to figure out than how to rewire the electronics and Frankensteining an Instax Wide 210 camera onto the back of a Polaroid 110A! Look for further developments on the Polaroid 110A conversion in future posts.